Monday, August 13, 2012

As Clear As Mud

Have you ever tried explaining a cliche to a kid? The look of confusion is priceless, and to use a few old cliches, you could see their wheels turning and steam coming out of their ears ;)

I never realized how many old cliches I use in everyday language until I had to start trying to explain them to my kids. Some simply go over their heads and some I struggle to actually remember what the saying even means! Sometimes we simply say things because we've always said them and the kids have forced me to really look at what I say and when I use that saying.

I thought I'd list some of the cliches I use that I've found difficult to explain to my kids:

- Beat around the bush

- The best thing since sliced bread

- You can't teach an old dog new tricks

- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

- Till the cows come home

- A stick in the mud

- A good rule of thumb

- More than you can shake a stick at

- A snail's pace

- The shoe is on the other foot

- The apple of my eye

- In the doghouse

- Full of vinegar (or full of the dickens)

Do you use these types of expressions? What's your favourite or most used? Have you tried explaining them to your kids?

As for my own use of expressions I think I'll have to filter them a bit more before my kids start thinking I'm nuttier than a fruitcake ;)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! I can't remember asking what sayings meant - I just adopted them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going through this right now too because my son asks a lot of questions. We're also having a lot of fun with puns right now. He's starting to get them (he's 6) though and it's really cute. I did have fun explaining Bozo the Clown and phone booths to him a few months ago. Makes me feel old!

    Jackie @
    www.madjackie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete