Sunday, January 29, 2012

Me, My Faults, and I

No one REALLY wants to publicize their faults but in this case I think it's going to help me. There was a few things that bothered me this week and it led me to wonder if it was the other person (people) at fault, or if it was my own faults that led to my uneasiness. Trying to be as objective as possible I came to the conclusion that it was a combination of the two but it made me want to write about my faults and show that a. I know what the majority of my faults are and b. say that I do try to work on most of them.

It's not pleasant to give oneself a hard look but I do think it's necessary every now and then to make sure I'm trying to learn and grow. Some faults really embarrass me and I hope that by being aware of them I can change them. Others don't necessarily embarrass me but sometimes make me feel that they complicate my life in unnecessary ways.

So *sigh* let's get started. I'm not going to share them all as some are deeply personal and a little too hard to share with the world:

1. Impatience. It's a weird sort of fault for me as at times I impress myself with how patient I can be with a situation or person. Then other times I simply snap and lose patience in an instant. Part of me would like to be generous with myself and say that my bouts of impatience follow bouts of great patience but I can't say for sure this is the situation. All I know is that I would do just about anything to be able to achieve higher level patience in all aspects of my life.

2. Interruption. I interrupt people when they're speaking. I do it, I know I'm doing it, I hate that I'm doing it and yet it always seems to happen. When I go out with someone I think to myself' "Don't interrupt!" and yet at some point throughout the evening I find myself doing it. I'm going to keep trying on this one and hopefully some day I'll learn to wait my turn.
The King of Interruption

3. Hurt Feelings. I'm a logical person and can completely understand that people are allowed to invite whomever they want to events. However this seems to get jumbled in my head and I get hurt feelings when I don't receive an invite to something. To be fair to myself, I generally only really get hurt feelings when I have extended invites to the person and then in turn do not return the favour.

4. Judging. I do it. Not all the time, not on things you may expect me to, but I do judge people on certain things.  I will admit to judging how other people react to situations, certain parenting choices, clothing choices, political choices, etc. Lately I've seen many comments on how people shouldn't judge others, or how they should just support. I believe in those comments but I'm being totally honest and saying that though I believe in them, it's not something that one can just flip a switch on. The way I work on this fault is that I sit on my initial reaction. Sometimes I sit on it for a few moments before I can say 'to each their own' and I can admit that I am still sitting on some reactions that I just can not seem to get over. Sometimes it takes a bit of reminding that people are allowed to make their own decisions.

I think that's all I'll post for now. Someone advised me not to post my faults, or at least the judging one, and my response was 'But we ALL do it! I'm just being honest about it and I hope it will lead others to be more honest about it too'.  Am I crazy or do others feel that posting their faults will help lead to finding ways to improve on them?



1 comment:

  1. You and I share the same faults, lol. I agreed (about myself) with everyone you posted. Even the the judging one. You are right, we do all do it, even if we try not to. Not that we should, because we really shouldn't, but it is human nature. I enjoyed your blog and look forward to reading more!

    -Audri (Rediscovering Our Family www.rediscoveringourfamily.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete