Wednesday, July 27, 2011

June Reads

After finishing May with Prisoner of Tehran I decided to mix it up a little in June and start light. It was a real mixed bag of reads in June so hopefully everyone will find something they like out of it!

1. The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan: This is part of the Percy Jackson series so it's written for pre-teens but I enjoy the break after reading more heavy material. Still part of the typical pattern but enjoyable.

2. A Visit From The Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan:  I read her other book, The Keep, and have to say I found that book to be an odd read; this one I enjoyed more. It was a collection of little snippets of lives of several characters. It takes a while to figure out how they all connect but is interesting to figure it out. All in all it is a little different but enjoyable.

3. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle: How bad is this, I am 36 and have never read any Sherlock Holmes novels! I loved this book! I was surprised how much I really enjoyed reading this book. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a master. I have read many books that try to follow his lead but you can not improve on his style.

4. The Given Day - Dennis Lehane: Several people told me they were not too fond of this writer but I have read a few of his books and liked them; The Given Day didn't disappoint me. I feel like I learned a lot and started to get a bit tired of reading about the strikes but I think that's because both Air Canada and Canada Post were striking at the time that I was reading this! Still, a decent book but it is a little long.

5. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry: This was a tiny little book that was a sweet surprise. It would be a good book to read with kids around 10yrs old. Even as an adult I thought it was a unique idea and story.

6. A Storm of Swords - George R. R. Martin: This is my FAVOURITE in the Game of Thrones series (so far). So much happens in this book that you are sad, angry, happy, excited...it is jam-packed with excitement! Read the series, it is worth getting to this book :)  

1 comment:

  1. I love Percy Jackson!! The books are such easy, fun reads.

    ReplyDelete